What is a cloud migration assessment? Your business will assess its resources and IT environment as part of the Cloud Readiness Assessment to see if it is ready to go to the cloud. To make the migration process easier, an evaluation must be performed, and best practices must be followed while creating a cloud infrastructure.
In this article, newlifedn.com will explore look at the procedures for doing a cloud migration assessment.
How do you do a cloud migration assessment?
You must first ask the correct questions, such as:
- What motivates you to switch to the cloud?
- What are your objectives?
- What’s your goal in terms of ROI?
- Do you have an ageing infrastructure?
- Are your team members overworked with useless tasks?
- Do you want more agility and flexibility?
After you have the answers to these queries, you should consider the realistic ways to begin the move. Think about it:
- How will you transition to the cloud?
- Will you use only your own resources to do it?
- Do you need to bring in a third party to help?
After completing this, you may think about the remaining steps of the cloud migration assessment in just a few easy steps:
- Identifying the application scope eligible for migration
- You must specify which software, tasks, and data can be moved to the cloud.
- Choose the Cloud Service that best fits the workloads going to the Cloud. For storage, databases, network functionality, and other needs, think about managed services.
- Recognize how your workloads are interdependent so you can later spot migration waves.
- Choose important stakeholders for each workload to work together on a migration window, success criteria, and rollback standards.
- Evaluating the available internal resources
- Do your teams have the right skills?
- Are your teams free to concentrate on the migration at this time?
- Are there conflicting priorities?
- What are your areas of weakness, and how can your team be prepared for them?
- Run Discovery workshops
- Conduct specialized workshops on topics such as networking, security, governance, operations, and more.
- Design the to-be state of your Google Cloud environment
- Determining the plan & budget
- Making a strategy is essential since it enables you to monitor your progress.
- Setting the profitability target is essential and should take into account factors like TCO calculations, the number of required days, license charges, and training expenses, to name a few.
- Build the Cloud Foundations
- Make sure your cloud foundations are established in accordance with the plan and outcomes of the exploration workshops before thinking about moving a single workload.
Your cloud adoption will be easier if you have a clear goal. For instance, establishing a plan for the future and priorities can cut down on the time and money needed for the move.
What are the benefits of doing a cloud migration assessment?
Everyone is interested in the cloud, so it’s crucial to be aware of its potential and advantages. But you might be curious:
- What advantages do shifting to the cloud offer?
- Isn’t it something I can do on premise?
- It will cost me less if I follow the same procedure for my on-premises
- The cloud is expensive
- How much will this change cost our company?
You must comprehend the cost-benefit ratio, the approach and timeline, as well as the migration strategy that is optimal for your company. Only by conducting an evaluation of your current position will you be able to accomplish this. This will eliminate all the previously mentioned queries.
Some advantages of conducting a cloud migration assessment include:
- It offers a thorough evaluation of your current infrastructure and a comparison with a cloud platform’s best practices.
- It provides a high-level financial analysis to help you determine the cloud’s value.
- You get a list of the apps for which the cloud is most suitable.
- It offers the resources and the methodology needed to create perimeter migration hypotheses.
- Before problems manifest, it identifies them at the research stage and fixes them.
- It provides suggestions for standardizing and maximizing the use of your park.
How to do an assessment simply?
Embarking on a cloud strategy is a demanding process, based on learning and method.
A good partner will help you see this type of project realistically and refocus you and your teams on your core business by using the cloud perspective.
At Devoteam G Cloud, as an awarded Google Cloud Managed Services partner, we have all the necessary skills and experience to assist you in your cloud adoption project and your cloud migration assessment.
We’ve been able to standardize an approach to support you at every stage of creating your cloud strategy based on our experiences with customers.
Our assistance consists of 4 main stages:
- Assessment: a study of your infrastructure
- Plan & prepare: creating the migration strategy
- Migrate: establishing the landing area and executing the migration
- Operations & optimisation: training and assistance with the operation of the platform
Although we think it’s crucial, developing your cloud strategy isn’t the first step in your shift. A cloud migration assessment should be performed first.